FREE Delivery On All Orders Over £250 - Conditions Apply

Supplying the poultry industry for three decades

How To Obtain Certificates of Competence for Rodent Control

Rowan Burgess |

Anyone looking to buy or use second-generation professional rodenticides will need a Certificate of Competence to allow them to purchase.

The UK Rodenticide Stewardship Scheme was set up in 2015 and is run by the Campaign for Responsible Rodenticide Use (CRUU). The project aims to ensure the correct use and control of professional poisons.

Importantly, only those trained in professional rodenticides with an approved certificate can buy and use them.

Find out what a CRUU-approved certificate is and how and where you can obtain one.

What Is a CRRU-Approved Certificate?

A CRRU-approved certificate demonstrates proof of competence following training on a CRUU-approved rodenticide course.

The training leading to an approved certificate teaches students the elements of responsible pest management and rodent control, including safe storage and use of different poison products.

Several organisations offer training in different contexts, such as wildlife and countryside management, gamekeeping, and farming. Land-based professionals can choose a training body that best reflects their particular industry.

Benefits of Obtaining a Certificate of Competence for Rodent Control

A Certificate of Competence ensures proper training, covering areas like correct storage and use of rodenticides, protecting the handler and non-target species, and minimising any environmental impact.

Widespread use of anticoagulant products to control rodents in the later years of the 20th century led to resistance in rats and mice and the introduction of more toxic so-called second-generation poisons or SGARs.

There has long been concern over the impact of SGARs on non-target species, such as scavenging birds of prey and other wildlife who end up eating poisoned rodents and die as a result.

If you want to use most second-generation rodenticides, you’ll require a Certificate of Competence to show at point-of-sale, or you won’t be able to purchase.

Which Certifications Are Recognised by the CRRU?

  • RSPH/BPCA Level 2 Award in Pest Management – Developed in partnership with the BPCA, the RSPH qualification provides an understanding of public health pests and their control.
  • RSPH/BPCA Level 2 Certificate in Pest Management – This covers the same three sections as the Level 2 Award but has two additional units on pest management techniques.
  • City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides for Vertebrate Pest Control for Rats and Mice – Designed for anyone who needs to control rodents in their daily role, assessment is both practical and oral.
  • Lantra Awards Level 2 Award in Rodent Management – Successful candidates receive an Ofqal accredited certificate. Assessment is via a paper-based examination.
  • Open Awards Level 2 Award in the Principles of Rodent Control – Run by BASIS and aimed at those working in game management and the wildlife sector.
  • RSPH Level 2 Award in the safe use of rodenticides – This qualification provides context for why SGAR use is controlled and how to consider other rodent control methods before using rodenticides.
  • BPCA Using Rodenticides Safely – Learn the reasons for pest control, the habits and lifestyle of rodents, and understand how to develop a coherent programme to eliminate unwanted species.
  • Open Awards Level 2 Award in Rodent Control for Gamekeepers and Rural Environments – This course offers training and certification set in the context of safe countryside management and stewardship.

Do I Need a Certificate of Competence as a Member of a Farm Assurance Scheme?

Farms that are members of any of the following CRRU-approved schemes may access professional-use rodenticides without requiring training and a Certificate of Competence.

  • Agricultural Industries Confederation
  • British Egg Industry Council Code of Practice for Lion Eggs
  • Farm Assured Welsh Livestock - Beef & Lamb
  • Laid in Britain
  • Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assurance Scheme - Beef and Lamb
  • Northern Ireland Farm Quality Assurance Cereals Scheme
  • Quality Meat Scotland - Beef & Lamb
  • Quality Meat Scotland - Pigs
  • Red Tractor Farm Assurance – Beef and Lamb
  • Red Tractor Farm Assurance – Chickens
  • Red Tractor Farm Assurance – Crops
  • Red Tractor Farm Assurance – Dairy
  • Red Tractor Farm Assurance – Ducks
  • Red Tractor Farm Assurance – Fresh Produce
  • Red Tractor Farm Assurance – Pigs
  • Red Tractor Farm Assurance – Turkeys
  • Scottish Quality Crops

Frequently Asked Questions

How Long Does a Rodent Control Certificate Last?

How long a Certificate of Competence lasts depends upon the training course and the type of certificate.

All CRRU-approved training providers encourage continuing professional development (CPD) to stay in touch with developments and improvements within the sector.

Need Help with Rodent Control? Shop Dalton Engineering!

There are many aspects of rodent control beyond using professional rodenticides safely. If you need help with rodent control, shop Dalton Engineering’s collection for trusted and effective products that do what they say on the tin.